Born to James Duthie and Margaret Duthie, Thomas was born in the medieval town of Stirling which was the site of the 1297 Battle of Stirling Bridge, where William Wallace defeated the English.
The farm Uitzig was granted to Hendrik Barnard
Duthie arrives at the Cape of Good Hope
Duthie was a member of the 72nd Highlanders and was stationed at the Castle of Good Hope.
George Rex purchases the farm Uitzig from Barnard
The farm was purchased from Barnard’s deceased estate for £679 17s 6d on 8th October. Rex, the former Marshall of Vice-Admirality Court in Cape Town, established himself as a timber merchant. Thanks to his efforts the Port of Knysna was proclaimed in 1817. Rex is known as the founder of Knysna.
Duthie spends 2 weeks with the Rex family and is ``much pleased with all the family, particularly with Miss Caroline.``
Duthie asks Caroline to be his wife
The couple were married on 12 February 1833 at the Military Barracks in Cape Town. They enjoyed a long honeymoon and returned to England for 18 months. Their first daughter Caroline, named after her mother, was born in November of that year.
Duthie purchases the farm Belvidere from his father-in-law
The purchase price of the farm was £750. Belvidere is spelled with an “i” as opposed to an “e”. It means “a platform, tower or raised place commanding a beautiful view”. Belvedere is of Italian origin – bella (beautiful) and vedere (to see). The British favoured the Latin root “videre” and because George Rex was a lawyer he chose that version. The Duthies returned to Knysna in October of 1834.
The Duthie Family move into their new cottage
Duthie was quite the entreprenuer during these early years and undertook several endeavours including salting fish to send to the Cape and he kept 230 angroa goats. He was appointed Supervisor of Crown Forests & Lands, Western Division of the George Districts in 1836 and timber became central to his life.
George Rex Duthie is born
The Governor of the Cape, Sir George & Lady Napier visit Belvidere
Work begins on the new Belvidere House
The cornerstone was placed on 27 October and the home was a single storey building with a thatched roof, featuring a staircase of local stinkwood and yellowwood.
``First dinner out of New House - good!`` Entry in Thomas Duthie's diary
The first transfer of land in the village of Belvidere to Robert Squire
Holy Trinity Church is consecrated
The Holy Trinity Church, Belvidere is consecrated by Bishop Gray. Designed by Sophia Gray, the church’s foundation stone was laid in 1851. The building stone was quarried locally and the church opened for its first service in 1853.
Thomas Henry Duthie died
Thomas Bain began work on the road from George to Knysna - the 7 Passes road
A new storey is added to Belvidere House
Upper walls of house raised to create a second storey, corrugated iron used to replace worn thatch, and veranda added on the north and east sides of the house.
Gold is discovered at Karatara
Anthony Trollope visits Belvidere
Augusta Vera Duthie ``Ave`` born, Granddaughter to Thomas
The first bridge crossing was built over the Knysna river, of pine & yellowwood
Ave obtains her BA in Botany from Stellenbosch
The first steam train puffs into Knysna
Ave Duthie dies
Memorial window to Ave Duthie unveiled at Belvidere Church
Electricity comes to Belvidere!
Belvidere House sold to become the new Belvidere Estate development
Belvidere Manor Hotel opens for business!
169 Lower Duthie Drive